Monday, November 14, 2016

Journal 6 Self Reflection

I learned a great deal about HTML over the past few weeks.  I have actually made and been maintaining a website since I was in middle school, but the HTML standards now are very different than what they are now.  A lot of the things I learned back in middle school are now examples of what not to do in our textbook.  Additionally, I learned a lot of things that simplified some concepts that I learned in the past.  For example, if I wanted to use several versions of a single image with slight modifications, I would use PhotoShop and save all these versions of the image.  But the css image assignment we did showed that we could just use css to modify the image, and skip Photoshop altogether.

The most important lesson I have learned was something that was said in the first 2 weeks.  That is where the content of a website should be contained in the HTML, and the organization and style should be kept separate(in cascading style sheets).  When I was making websites in middle school, all of the content was mixed together with the structure and style.  So whenever I wanted to change the layout of a website, it would be an extremely tedious process of copy pasting every single style rule across pages. 

Q1: What was the hardest and most rewarding assignment?

A1: It had to be the 1 column HTML site, because making the site was so different from what I was used to.  Normally I would make a series of tables to create the layout, but instead we used CSS to structure everything.
http://www.cpp.edu/~alu/512/1col.html

Q2: What was the biggest adjustment to make?

A2: Keeping the style rules in the CSS rules, and adapting to the new HTML5 standards.

No comments:

Post a Comment