Thursday, November 24, 2016

Journey 7 Professional Learning Network

Journal 7

Before taking this class, I already had a lot of experience using Twitter. However, it was purely for personal use and I was not aware of some of the inner workings of Twitter. Now I know that there are specific topics that we can monitor using hashtags, and that these hashtags can be used for educational purposes. Out of all the PLNs that we have looked at in this class, I think Twitter is the one that is the easiest to integrate into a classroom setting. It is by far the most mobile friendly and allows for easy communication between classmates, or between teacher and students.

The Digg accounts that we talked about seem very useful for classroom usage. Unlike Twitter, they cannot be used for communication but allow you to conveniently follow certain topics or news sites in one location. I believe that it would be more suited to a history classroom or any class that involves reading a lot of reference material or following current events.

For the affinity group, I had to apply to get in and was unfortunately not admitted. I do not know if I was actually rejected or if the process is still pending. But I can still read some of the posts, and it seems like it could be very helpful once I am teaching to share new ideas.

Q1: Can I see myself still using PLNs once this class finishes?

A1: Probably not Digg, but I will definitely continue using Twitter. The affinity groups will be very helpful when I start teaching too.

Q2: What other uses are there for the PLNs in classrooms?

A2: Twitter could be used to send emergency messages to students from administrators.

No comments:

Post a Comment